PHILOSOPHY OF ACTION :
Since the inception of ISLD’s work in the project villages and urban slums, the project team facilitated the formation of advisory committees. The advisory committees, the village and slum leaders and the ISLD’s project team discussed the health needs & other felt needs of the target communities. As a result of these discussions, a suitable method of action was decided and appropriate steps were suggested. These involved the following priorities for health care and integrated rural development.
HEALTH CARE PRIORITIES :
- Simple symptomatic primary healthcare available in the individual villages at all times.
- Prenatal and antenatal care.
- Care of pre-school children.
- Family planning.
- Health education.
- Control of chronic illness such as leprosy & tuberculosis (T.B.).
- Prevention of blindness.
- Care of AIDS infected patients at the village level.
- To conduct research on appropriate technologies and health systems.
INTEGRATED RURAL DEVELOPMENT (SOCIO-ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT) :
- Animal health care
- Income generation programs specially for women
- Watershed development
- Ensuring clean environment, safe drinking water and sanitation
- Non-formal education
- Alternate energy – readily available and renewable in nature.
IN ORDER TO REACH RURAL & URBAN SLUMS COMMUNITIES WITH THESE SERVICES ISLD IN PARTNERSHIP WITH THE COMMUNITIES ESTABLISHED :
- Infrastructure for local health work
- Selecting of grassroots workers
- Providing volunteers to assist in survey, health planning, immunization, sanitation, etc.
- Establishment of youth clubs (Tarun Mandals) and women’s group (Mahila Mandals).